miracles do happen

miracles do happen
Beautiful Leilani 2 days old

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Living a nightmare

 Saturday October 17 started like any other Saturday for us. Londyn and I woke up and played for a while. Dusty had to go to work for an hour or so. Leilani slept in that morning. Around 9:30 or 10, after Dusty got back home we left to go to my mom and dad's. Dad and Dusty have been building a deck for my mom. I was doing a little laundry (since we were there). My mom put a toast in the crock pot to cook for dinner.
Later, the guys were outside and I put Londyn in the walker to help mom make dinner. She asked me to make some brownies... I looked up and saw it happening in slow motion but couldn't do anything about it... Londyn found the cord to the crock pot and pulled. He was screaming before I could get to him. My mom was there before me. (I've never seen her move so quick and sound so panicked.)  She's always so calm in a crisis. She was screaming at me to turn the cold water on! I think we got him under the cold water within seconds. Got him sprayed down and undressed, and then Dusty and I rushed him to the hospital. (Before this moment I half way wondered if Londyn even felt pain.)
Once we got there we ran in. I ran up to check him in, me to the check in lady ...(I'm bawling as bad as him) my baby got burned! Her: what happened? Me: he pulled a cockpit of the counter her: what's his birth date? Me: January 19 2015. Her: Londyn? Me: yes! Her: you still at ...( old address)? Me: no... ( crap now I have to remember our new address)... Hope I gave it right...Her: ok he'll be called back in a second. I tried nursing him to comfort while we waited, had long enough to get attached.  
We got called back he had to be weighed and have his oxygen checked then they got us in a room quick!! 2-3 nurses came in introduced themselves and looked at Londyn. Luckily it was mainly on his arms and hands. There was a first degree burn on his chest but it wasn't worried about. He had a bruise starting on his cheek. So we're guessing the crock pot hit him in the face when it feel of the counter. They left for what felt like forever. One came back in some time after that and have him some ibuprofen, then left again. (For what felt like forever again). I finally got Londyn calmed down a little, but he was still wimpering.  I felt like they were taking too long, and I could see blisters getting worse on his hands. So I went over to the nurses station and asked if we could get something on them. They said sadly, burns get worse for the next 12 hours. My heart sank, I'm supposed to protect my babies from stuff like this, and now it's going to get worse?  3 nurses came in again. They gave him another pain medicine and something that made him super loopy. But no more tears.  Than a tetanus shot. Once he was good and loopy, they started dressing the wounds. First a gauze soaked in neosporin, than wrapped in more gauze,lots of it. Than wrapped in that sticky gauzy tape stuff. He was casted basically from his shoulders down.
usually we kept socks on to keep it clean. 
On Tuesday the 20th, we had an appointment with the burn unit at children's hospital.  2 nurses came in and cut off the bandages from the ER to check the wounds. (Brace yourself these next pictures are not pretty...)

These two are of his right hand. It got it the worse I think. 

This is his left arm. It was peeling before we left for the hospital.

The nurses came back in to redress the wounds. They put him in a soft cast (it's hard just not as hard as it would have been if he broke a bone.) They said his burns are 2nd degree with partial thickening. Which means there are blisters but the burns aren't through all the layers of skin and into the tissue...  They said there shouldn't be any scarring if it heals within 21 days if it takes longer than that we might need to talk with a surgeon. 

All I can think when I look at him is it should have been so much worse. It's a miracle that the burns are only on his arms and hands. And I pray that he heals on his own. 

But these casts are not slowing him down (I mean obviously they do a little), he is crawling everywhere and pulling himself up on everything. He falls more because he can't hold onto stuff. It is a little funny when he wants his pacifier, he'll try to find it with his mouth to suck on it.

 I love this little boy so much and I'm so grateful for the nurses and doctors who have been and will be there for us through this ordeal. Londyn has a long road to full recovery but he's well on his way.  Nothing will get this boy down!!

No comments:

Post a Comment